This is a vertical lift road bridge in Bordeaux, crossing the Garonne.
- 575 metres long and 77 metres high
- Tallest lift bridge in Europe – 110m lift takes the tallest ships
- Length of lifting span: 117m
- Completed in 2013
- 36 months to build
- It is a road bridge, not a cycle/pedestrian bridge
- 4 traffic lanes, 2 monorail tracks and 2 sidewalk/bikeways. It is massive!
- 45,000 cars a day
Here is another example of a massive road/rail bridge of comparable/greater size costing less than ¼ the worst case estimate for our lightweight pedestrian/cycle bridge!
- The span across the River Garonne at that point is 412m
- The span of the Thames from Durrands park to Westferry is approximately 410m
- The span of the Thames on the TfL proposed Northern route is only 260m